Valentine’s Day only a couple weeks away! I thought I would get in the spirit by making heart brownies. There is nothing better for Valentine’s day than chocolate. OK well maybe diamonds, but who doesn’t love a brownie? These are not just any ordinary brownies. These are extra special for that extra special someone. To make them extra special I made a pretty pink cream cheese swirl and topped them off with a milk chocolate heart!
This recipe is super simple! To save time and energy I started with a box of brownie mix. The cream cheese swirl is made from scratch with some added food coloring. If you like brownies from scratch then definitely start with a basic brownie recipe.
What You Will Need:
1 Box Brownie Mix
(all ingredients listed on the box of brownie mix)
4 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pink or red food coloring
9 milk chocolate hearts
3″ heart shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for dark or nonstick pan). Grease the bottom of a 13 in. x 9 in. pan. In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Add a few drops of food coloring to get desired pink color.
- In a large bowl make prepare the brownie mix according to the directions on the box. Spread 3/4 of the batter into the greased pan.
- Spoon cream cheese filling using a teaspoon evenly on top of the brownie batter.
- Spoon remaining brownie batter on top of the cream cheese filling.
- Cut through the batter several times with a butter knife to create a swirl design.
- Bake 33 to 37 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let sit for 3 minutes and then make light marks with heart shape. Place milk chocolate hearts in the middle of the hearts.
- Let brownies and milk chocolates cool completely before cutting out the heart shapes.
- Cut out heart shapes with cookie cutter. Remove excess brownie scraps around the heart. (These can be for mommy!)
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
*Note if you do not have a heart shaped cookie cutter, this recipe works great for square brownies as well.
Finished! Time to share these yummy brownies with the ones you love. My girls had a fantastic time helping me make these and they especially enjoyed eating all the scraps! This recipe is so cute to give to friends or to have at a Valentine’s party. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please feel free to leave me a comment!