If you are anything like me then the holidays are all about cooking, baking and time with family. With Christmas only a few days away you may be thinking about what to make for breakfast on Christmas morning. I’ve got you covered! I have an easy and delicious supreme egg casserole that your whole family will love. It is layered with bread, sausage, peppers, onions, spinach, eggs and cheese! It is so easy to prepare and takes very little effort. You just pop it in the oven and it is ready in no time.
This recipe is a good base for experimenting with your own ingredients. You can play around and use any ingredients that you normally like to eat in your eggs. I chose to do spinach and red bell pepper to go with the Christmas color theme. I have made this recipe vegetarian by using mushrooms instead of sausage. Whatever you choose everyone will definitely enjoy this easy and delicious supreme egg casserole.
1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 pound ground pork sausage
8 eggs, beaten
1 (12 ounce) package shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
2 handfuls whole leaf spinach
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain excess oil, crumble and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with the crescent roll dough spacing them slightly. Spread the sausage evenly on top of the dough.
- Using the same skillet sauté the peppers and onions over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the spinach and heat just until wilted. Place the veggies evenly over the sausage.
- In a large bowl mix the beaten eggs with the shredded cheese until well blended. Pour the mixture evenly over the sausage and veggies.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven. Check that it is fully cooked by inserting a butter knife in the center and if it comes out clean it is ready. Let cool for 3-5 minutes. Makes about 12 servings.
I hope you and your family love this recipe! Have a wonderful Christmas day. Enjoy all the special time with your friends and family. If you like the recipe leave me a comment! I would love to hear what you think and how your Christmas morning turned out. For a holiday treat check out my cookie recipe http://www.lilposies.com/lizzy-kakes-apricot-filled-cookies/ .